Friday, November 15, 2013

Globs to jewels

So far I feel like I’ve only been buying different jewelry parts and putting them together. Don’t get me wrong, its been great. I love putting things together because I do it differently than other jewelry makers. I make items to match outfits that I don’t have jewelry for. It’s original and my perfect size, which is dandy; however, I want to ACTUALLY make something—like from scratch.

No, I’m not going to go digging for precious metals. I recently came across a commercial for Martha Stewart Crafts Epoxy Clay System. My birthday is coming up in January and I’m going to ask my sister to get it for me. IT LOOKS AWESOME!!! 


I know I watch way to many advertisements that make me want to buy the product they’re selling but, come on! If you honestly watched this commercial and didn’t want to play around with the clay, you’re not a true jewelry fanatic.

The commercial starts out with a clean white background. The logo and word crafts are in tiffany blue which gives it an elite look; there is other text in brown which stands out but isn’t as harsh as it would be if it were in black. The brown makes it more inviting.

Next the flower that the tutorial is for is shown. They don’t start off with a basic mono-color flower, oh no. Instead they jump right up to an advanced ombré flower as if anyone could do it. I’m certain if I jumped right into doing one like it, the colors would end up all mixed, looking like a hot mess. I’ll start with one color, thank you very much!

The tutorial itself is done on a clean white counter. The tools are tiffany blue, which give the video a nice holistic appearance since the starting and ending screens share the same color scheme.

When the materials are shown, ALL of the clay colors are shown even though only three are used for this particular project. It’s like they came into my room, saw my nail polish collection and said ‘this chick likes collecting stuff, lets show her all the different colors she can collect!’ Now I want all the colors, thanks a lot marketing geniuses! Also, Martha Stewart’s name is repeated before each tool. I already know its part of her line, is the repetition really necessary?

During the course of the tutorial, the act of making the piece looks really easy while what is made sound very fancy. “ Once your cabochon piece is dry, pop it out of the mold.” Who uses words like cabochon? It’s French, and the epitome of fancy. It is sneakily placed in the same sentence as the word pop, which is so very effortless, as if it almost happens by itself.

At the end they state where to buy these products ‘exclusively at Michaels.’ They do leave out one important piece of information, how much these items cost. Nonetheless, I’ll be giving them a visit soon. Hopefully, if I tell my sister I want this when she’s on the phone with her fiancé, she’ll just give me her credit card again. Ah, the pleasures of being an annoying younger sister…    

1 comment:

  1. This was a really interesting blog entry. I have never been much of a jewelry person myself but i have to admit that after watching that commercial I kinda want to try out that kit. I found it interesting that they used the tiffany blue for their product. At first I didn't notice it, but it does give the kit a very elegant look. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete