Here I ago again, with the same haunting memory... As a child my weekends were never truly mine. Court-order
rudely demanded me to visit my dad every single weekend. I suppose this doesn’t
seem so terrible, if it weren’t for the fact that I didn’t really know my dad,
if it weren’t for him and my brother having the same name, I probably wouldn’t
know that. My only memory of my dad was the abusive relationship he was in with
my mother.
My dad can be put into three categories, sexist,
belligerent, and a lair. My dad wasn’t
an evil person but I surly hated him. There are many memories I have of my dad that
make me cringe, and hate him all over again. As a child I grew up with my dad
having hate for me. Both my parents are black as hell and here I am a lighter
complexion then them. This had a negative effect on my dad. He just knew with
all his heart I wasn’t his child. When my dad swabbed me to confirm his
accusations, he got the news that seemed to only anger him further.
100% his child, not 99.9%, but 100% the DNA results read.
I thought things would get better but they didn’t, he only isolated me more.
Every weekend my older brother and I would visit, because what other choice did
I have. One weekend my dad made me clean the house and cook for him and my
brother. My dad manipulated me into thinking I was being a huge help, his “big
girl”. Until, I over herd him explaining to my brother cooking and cleaning was
a women’s place. I wouldn’t have been offended, if it hadn’t been so many women
in my life teaching me the complete opposite. So there I sat, crying because
that wasn’t the first time I’d heard him say something hurtful. The first time
he said he loved my brother more. Being with my dad sucked, I wasn’t having fun
anymore, and I was ultimately alone.
If I were to upset my dad in any way he would damn
near threaten my life. I was scared of the things he said, and too afraid to
say anything to anyone else. One day my dad told me if I didn’t fall asleep he
would slap the shit out of me. I was terrified. I went to the bathroom and
called my grandmother. I knew if I needed anything she would come to the
rescue. When I heard a knock at the door I started to tremble. My dad answered
the door and was pissed. I already secretly packed my things and ran to my
grandma. She grabbed my bag and my hand walked me to her car. My dad called me
names I wish I didn’t remember. I grandma turned to my dad pointed her gun at
him and said, “If you ever disrespect my granddaughter again, I’ll blow your fucking
brains out.”
There are many memories I wish I didn’t remember,
simply because they turned me into this hateful depressed person for a long
time. I believe that no matter what your dad put you through you should love
him. I believe this because there are things that shape a person to act the way
they do. I’m not sure what shaped my dad into the person he is, but I let
myself give him the benefit of the doubt. At the end of the day, without him I
wouldn’t be here today.
This was an extremely moving blog post. You did a wonderful job of explaining everything even for people who don't share a similar experience. Its great that you found the silver lining and ended the blog on a positive note!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deletethank you!
Delete