Friday, November 8, 2013

Does Being Different have to come with a price?


         Many individuals in today’s society struggle with the fact that they are different. Or at least that is what many kids think because they are constantly being bullied. I am sure many people have been or know someone who has been bullied, and if not you are lucky.

Bullying is when someone or a group of people with more power repeatedly and intentionally cause hurt or harm to an individual or group of people less powerful. I am an individual who knows exactly what being bullied feels like. I try not to talk about it because I’ve always been embarrassed by it. I decided that it was time to get everything out on the table because I am sure I’m not the only one whose been bullied. I even think someone can probably benefit from my experience or relate. The American Justice Department bullying statistics show that one out of every for kids will be bullied throughout their adolescence. There are other bullying statistics that show that 77% of students have admitted that they have been victims of some type of bullying or another. This is very sad that number is almost 80% so that means over half of students have been hurt or harmed by a peer. ABC news has an article on president Obama’s bullying documentary on Cartoon Network which can be found here. This article contains some of president Obama’s personal views about bullying also with some important statistics.

I think that when most people think of bullying the think of being physically abused. However, bullying can also be done verbally. Being verbally abused can be just as painful as being physically abused. When I was a little girl there was a saying that, “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. Every time I would get into a disagreement with someone I would rub these words in their face. I think that as I grew older this saying became a myth in my mind. Yes sticks and stones do hurt but words can hurt just as bad.

          I started to become a victim of bullying my senior year of high school. When I was in high school there were many different social clicks there. It was just like the movies where you have the freaks, nerds, and the cool girls or boys. All my life I was use to going to school in the same district but when my mom decided to move that was a different story. I had to make new friends and everything my freshman year. My freshman year I had no friends and got use to the fact that I was going to be eating lunch alone. Then when my sophomore year came I started to develop new friendships. These people were cool to me but not to everyone else in the school which put me in the freaks category. By the time I was a junior in high school my social life had
changed and I thought it was for the good. I had finally accomplished my goal to get in with the girls that were cool, sexy, and fun. It started by them asking me to hang out with them, and that turned into an amazing relationship to me at that time. In my mind I felt like now I have friends, I won’t feel alone, and better yet everyone will know me. When I sat at their lunch table I observed a lot. They all talked about other students, dressed a certain way, and they would rebel against authority. After I noticed this stuff I still gave in to the peer pressure by keep them as associates of mine.


            After watching my new friends bully the underclassmen, I started to reminisce because that use to me in their situation. I was looked down on by them, and given evil stares. I would always want to say something but I was afraid of how my “friends” would look at me. So I sat back and did nothing but look sad, and just think. Our friendships started to develop and I just went with the flow. We all decided to go to the same college. At the time I was so excited but now when I look back at it I was so stupid.



This new relationship with the “cool girls” lasted for about a year and a half. My second semester during senior year in high school was one of the most difficult times I have dealt with. I had classes with all four of my new “best friends”. This is when I found out I had to make sacrifices to stay friends with them. One day we were in chemistry class and the work was extremely hard so I decided to get help I did, and got my work done. After I finished one of my friends asked to see my paper so she could copy it and turn it in on time. For the first time I said no. I felt like I worked hard to understand the work and she could’ve did the same. When this day came I realized I was being used because I was smart. After that day no one wanted to hang with me anymore because I didn’t look out for my friend. This is when I learned I didn’t really have true friends, because instead of copying my work they could’ve asked me to help them. This was the solution to the problem in my opinion but not theirs.


I went that whole second semester feeling alone and betrayed. But what made things worst was the simple fact that I had to go away to college with them, and it was too late to change into a different school. After graduation I didn’t hear from any of them until one night about 11:00 pm when I got a threating call. I was sleep and one of my old friends called me, and asked did I want to fight her because she heard that I was going around telling people I want to beat her up. If anyone knew me they would know that I was never the type to go around and look for trouble I was laid back and quiet. That whole summer I got calls with her trying to fight me and everything. The girls wanted to beat me up and fight one on one. I told my mother and she tried her best to stop it. I was afraid I couldn't even go anywhere without feeling scared.


I avoided her the whole summer until it was move in day at my college we all ended up living on the same floor. Our parents attempted to sit us down to squash everything but soon as they left I became verbally attacked and received threats. Come to find out it was one of the girls making everything up because she was afraid of the other girl. So she decided to put the blame on me after starting the rumor herself so she wouldn’t get beat up or lose her friend. I didn’t feel safe it was two against one every single day I woke up. I was in a deep depression to the point I wouldn’t come out of my room or eat. My roommate did her own thing so I never got a chance to express my feelings. After seeking the police and counseling I still didn’t feel safe because there wasn't enough being done in my opinion. I moved into another building and that’s when they even started to come over there and intimidate me.  After this continued and nothing was being done I decided to leave the college for good because it was either stay there and take the pain or leave and get myself together.  


When I left I received a phone call that changed my life. My roommate called and told me that the two girls had gotten beaten up by her and her friends once they found out that I was being bullied, and left the school because of it. The girls no longer tried to contact me and send threats anymore. I even ran into
one of them in a store, and she just looked at me. I no longer had to feel like she would come for me again because she got what she deserved. Yes this sound awful but karma is real to me and what goes around comes around. Bullies have to learn how to stop at some point even if it means getting a taste of their own medicine. I learned my lesson to always stand up for myself, and seek extra help. It is important to defend yourself because if you appear as a rug people will walk all over you. Remember if you don’t stand for anything you will fall for everything. Marilyn Monroe has a quote that says, “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are”.  Be yourself hangout with people you love and who will accept you for you.

Citations:


No comments:

Post a Comment