Sun kissed skin is a great coat of armor. The idea
behind purposely using a tanning bed was not because of the beauty aspect, it
was to benefit your health but it gained its negativity from celebrities’ usage.
To be more specific, I think it was looked down upon greatly once Jersey Shore
aired. The cast of this show excessively tan, which is irresponsibly, and brag
about how being the darkest is the best thing in the world. So of course the
audience this shows catches is the teenage girls who want to be like them to
fit in and be “pretty”. However, tanning is more beneficial for one than the media
portrays. Indoor tanning beds originated in Europe in 1906 from a German
medical company named Heraeus. They were created to help patients produce more
Vitamin D to help them absorb calcium better. Then in the 1920’s Coco Chanel
and Josephine Baker founded a new beauty trend of looking better with having
golden skin. Once they introduced this new beauty trend to the public, many
wanted to have this look so that is when the industry of tanning beds grew.
Later in the 1970’s a scientist named Friedrich Wolff decided to do further
experiment with tanning beds and founded many positive aspects about the use of
tanning beds and proved the safety in using these beds. Some benefits from
using tanning beds is that makes you happier and less stressed, reduces heart
disease, relieves aches and pains, helps bad skin conditions, reduces risks of
cancers. Tanning cheers you up because it increases your serotonin levels which
the body’s happy hormone. It decreases your chances of heart disease because gives
you a supply of Vitamin D which is how people usually get heart disease from
not having enough Vitamin D. It relieves aches and pains because being exposed
to the warmth of the UV rays can ease up stiffness and the heat will warm up
the body’s muscles. Being exposed to the sun can help fix skin conditions such
as eczema and acne. When one obtains a decent amount of Vitamin D provided by
the sun, it helps one reduce the risks of getting other types of cancers. There
is only ONE bad thing people can say about tanning which is that it can cause
skin cancer. You never hear anyone give any other bad health issue tanning may
cause one besides skin cancer; but they also fail to mention the numerous
amount of health benefits one can get from tanning. I love to tan because it
does help me reduce stress and acne and not because I am trying to get fit in
the celebrities. Sure I like being tan that’s not everything. So when I get
judged for tanning I do a debate does arise between me and others because they
think they know everything about tanning but they do not. Having nice golden
skin as I stated is nice but there is more to it than meets the eye.
Responsibility is highly needed by one who chooses to tan. Many doctors agree:
"I believe the health benefits of exposure to UVA and UVB rays greatly
outweigh the disadvantages, even if that means using a sunbed during winter
months." So when I ever recommend tanning to someone I also mention to tan
wisely and to remember always the right reasons why one is doing so.
Reading this makes me feel better about tanning. I too like tanning in the winter months. Not because I like to look tan, although that is always a plus, but because it makes me happier. The dreary winter months can seem so long and depressing, and being able to look forward to the warm tanning bed makes them a little more bearable. Knowing that there are other benefits makes me feel a little better about what I thought was a bad habit.
ReplyDelete