I never understood if bullying
leads to suicide, why do people still bully others? The correct definition of Bullycide
is suicide caused from the results of bullying. Bullying is becoming a major
problem in America, and it’s the leading cause of suicide, student dropouts,
and school shootings. Even though laws are enforced in 49 states in the U.S.,
it’s still growing into a bigger problem nationwide. It is the leading cause of
death in youth. In most cases, they die from hanging of the neck, or shooting
themselves. Suicide rates among 10 to 14 year olds have grown more than 50%
over the last 3 decades. (makebeatsnotbeatdowns.com). I couldn’t believe how
young some kids were that committed suicide.
This picture encourages people that
are bullies, or are being bullied to get help. The picture agrees with the stereotype
that the “weird” or “quiet” kids always kill themselves. Society made it so it’s
always the “weird” kids that bomb/shoot up the school or do inhumane acts not
adding what the reason is for majority of these acts are – being bullied. There
is a lot of pathos in this picture. It’s not every day that you see a person hanging
themselves. Many may find this picture hurtful because hanging of the neck is
one of the main ways teens kill themselves. A lot of people have experienced
someone in their family that committed suicide by hanging themselves, so this
gives off an emotional appeal because this picture makes suicide victims
remember their past. This picture can also appeal to those who have been
bullied and thought about killing themselves because this picture shows them
what they could have been.
There are only 3 colors in the
picture. The author chose a gloomy, light, bluish background to bring out the
hanging person more clearly. If he would have had a darker colored background,
it would have taken away the sentimental effect of the picture. That is also why
he made the hanging person in all black because he wants the viewers to see
what it is really like to be hung. It is not a fun experience which is what
makes this picture so horrendous. The audience also sees a small statement next
to the person being hung. The first sentence says “Bullying can kill” in all
red letters. The website they granted was also in all red letters, while the
rest of the passage is written in black. The author did this because he wants
his viewers to see the importance in this picture. The author also wants the
viewer to see the main idea of this picture, which is to stop bullying and go
to the website given if you are a bullying victim.
Lastly, what is so unique about
this picture is the format of what is supposed to be a rope. Instead of the
teen being hung by a rope, he is being hung by the malicious words that caused
him to commit suicide in the first place. The words are in the shape of a rope around
his neck. The author did this because he wanted to show his audience the reason
teens commit suicide.
People don’t understand the damage
bullying really does until the damage is done, so we should prevent the
ruthless acts from happening by standing up, or asking for help.

I just learned something new from reading your blog. It was very well written and I like the topic. I hate to hear about kids killing themselves because of bullying. It is not fun to be bullied and no fun to get to the breaking point of committing suicide. I hope more kids are willing to speak up for themselves and get help. I don't want to keep losing our youth to problems we can fix. Great blog topic!
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge advocate for suicide prevention. Being someone who was on the verge of suicide myself at one point, I know how badly you have to hurt to want to go to that much of an extreme to end it. Something is really wrong with the world when children who are barely in middle school want to kill themselves. Suicide is the number one cause of deaths among teenagers and bullying is more often than not what leads them to it. It's 100% preventable and I honestly don't think that we're doing enough to stop it. A child being afraid of going to school because of a bully shouldn't be something that they should have to worry about. It needs to end.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very emotional topic and I believe it needs to be talked about more. I was never bullied but my little sister was from elementary school to middle school. Her being bullied really took away from her personality, you could just tell that she wasnt herself. Just last year she told are whole family that she use to cut herself and I was devastated. I always felt bad for her and talked to her a lot just to make her feel good about herself again. It was hard hearing all her stories about what the kids were saying to her, finally the bullying stopped and she is herself again. I am very grateful for that. No one should ever have to go through that.
ReplyDeleteI liked that you took the time to address a topic like this. Bullying is a huge problem, especially when it leads kids that haven't even started their lives yet to the verge of suicide. Nobody should ever feel like they need to end their life, and nobody should ever do or say things to make somebody feel that way. The image you chose to analyze is very powerful, I feel that it describes the issue perfectly, even without the black and red text on the right. Overall this is a great post; I agree with your point 100%. Nobody should have to go through that.
ReplyDelete