As defined by Merriam-Webster, the word cancer means “a malignant tumor of
potentially unlimited growth that expands locally by invasion and systemically
by metastasis.” Urban Dictionary simplifies this definition, explaining cancer as “A deadly disease that is
caused by anything and can kill anyone.” Cancer is more than just a word
though. To many, it is a way of life, or even a battle for life. This was the
case from my grandmother on my mom’s side of the family.
My grandma’s name
is Cheryl. She was diagnosed twice with breast cancer three different times,
the last being approximately ten years ago. That is not what really hits home
for me though. In June of this year, 2013, she was diagnosed with stage four
pancreatic cancer after going to the doctor’s office because of pains in her
abdomen and swelling in her extremities.
The cancerous
tumor took up about two-thirds of her pancreas and part of it was wrapped
around her aortic artery. Being around a main artery, she would not be able to
have surgery for the doctors to attempt to remove the tumor, due to the high
risk or severing the artery.
I had worked in a
nursing home as a CNA after high school, and I have seen and taken care of
patients with cancer. This was an all new experience to me though. This person
was someone in my family, someone I was close to. This was my grandma, and I
knew she did not deserve it. Not that anyone deserves cancer; no one does. It
was the feeling that someone I have known for my whole life, and loved the
whole time as well, does not have much time left here.
She was given
three months to live, and with this news I think she started to just give up.
Her health declined rapidly, and so did her moral. My grandma went from being a
lively person who did almost everything for herself, to someone who had to be
helped with her simple activities of daily living in just a few weeks.
Early morning on
October 30th, my grandma finally able to rest, free of suffering.
Sometimes it still does not feel real. It is hard to believe how so much can
change in so little time. I will always
remember her as someone who made the best of every situation. She tried to stay
positive to the very end, and she always tried to make every situation
humorous, no matter how bad this situation was.
Many people go
through situations like mine with family members and loved ones due to cancer.
I feel for the families that have to suffer with their children who have been
diagnosed with this terrible disease. I know how hard it was for me to adjust,
and my grandma had already lived her life.
I really like your blog. I can connect with the topic too. My great-grandma had breast cancer, but they caught it early enough. I am so sorry for your lost, but just know she is in a better place now. I'm glad you took on the position of a CNA because that shows that you care about people and want to learn new things. Also, I recently just saw a movie called "The Best Man Holiday" which is the sequel to "The Best Man". You should check the movie out it shows a woman going through cancer and how her family deals with it; really good movie. Keep telling your story because you never know who else is going through this and who else your story can help.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your post! I like how you started with general definitions and then went specifically into a personal story. I too can relate, as breast cancer runs in my family. It must have been horrible to loose your grandmother this way.
ReplyDelete