For more reasons than one, I never
wanted to be that girl, that girl who’s out of control; looking
for love in all the wrong places, simply because she was lacking a father
figure, or that girl who’s fatherless
because she was black. Sadly I am that girl. I’m the Black girl with no
father, lacking a relationship with my father simply because I am black, and he
is a black male. Could there be no other reason? If I see a family of two
different races, and had to guess which one was missing the dad, depending on
what my choices are, I’d choose the black child. Simply because she’s black.
I’m against this stereotype 100%, but if that’s true then why do I play into
it? My answer is simple, because I am that
girl.
I’m the girl that had a single mother playing
the role of her father. My mother taught me to be a women, and tough as nails
at the same time. I’ve always wondered what about a black man makes him not
care for his child. I even wondered what about a white man makes him stick
around, and love his child. There are of course many black males who accompany
their child throughout their lives, and some white males who are obsolete in
their child’s lives.
Imagine if I was white, a
fatherless while girl; he must have been sick and passed on, or maybe some war
hero who died fighting for our country, either way I’m not judged, nor is it
obvious, you’re somewhat unconsciously surprised. Now, I’m black again, I went
and tanned for a year or two. I’m fatherless, and you’re not surprised, it has
to be some tragic story, or some baby daddy drama. It’s absolutely impossible,
in some people eyes, that my dad was a war hero. I’m that girl, the girl who’s been consumed by this generic stereotype.
I’m a girl, black girl who doesn’t talk about her father, afraid of being
grouped with the other fatherless black kids.
We live in a world where people
depend of stereotypes. Stereotypes can be an aid, or just offensive. If there
was a role playing game, and we had to play a person in our class, chances are
you would act like them based on their race, or appearance, not what you know
about them. This is because that’s what society teaches us. If you’re black your
LOUD and ghetto. If you’re White you can be, trashy, or smart, proper and rich.
Mexican, you’re just illegal and can’t speak proper English. Asian, you’re
great at math. These are just off the top of my head, and most of them are
disrespectful and not always the case.
This is why I don’t talk about my
dad. I want to be known as Che’. I don’t want to be a part of a statistic, or a
stereotype, when people think of me. I don’t want it to be obvious I don’t have
a dad. Why would it be, because I’m black?
This was a good blog! I hate being listed apart of stereotypes because not everyone fits them. Their are so many stereotypes for black people that you can't even remember all of them. I know your beating one big stereotype by typing this blog. You be Che'; the girl who is a student a Northern University with a bright future ahead of her. Keep your head up and always fight against stereotypes.
ReplyDeleteThanks Malik!
Delete