There are good people on both sides of the same sex marriage
debate. Unfortunately it has been an issue that has been tearing our country
apart. Opponents of same-sex marriage see the other side as activists disrespecting
important social values. Advocates of same-sex marriage see the other side as “homophobic”
bigots or religious extremists who want to deny gay couples the rights they
deserve because they hate homosexuals.
Opponents
of same-sex marriage do not often give valid persuasive points to support their
reasoning as to why it should remain illegal. They often cite the Bible and
assume that everyone else knows what’s wrong with same-sex marriage, or should
know, and those who don’t know never will.
Advocates
of same-sex marriage think it’s wrong to vote on rights that everyone deserves
to have in the first place. They see no reason to oppose same-sex marriage and
think it’s wrong to vote away same-sex couples right to marry. This would be
like voting against mixed race couples right to marry.
On the
other side of the issue people aren’t the irrational fundamentalists they are portrayed
to be. Keep in mind that opponents of same-sex marriage often cite the Bible. But
opponents of same-sex marriage don’t believe in slavery even though the Bible
states that it’s okay in Leviticus 25:44. Or one should be put to death if he
works on the Sabbath as described in Exodus 35:2. People pick and choose what to
defend in the Bible. People don’t support slavery so they don’t cite the Bible
in support of it. But they do oppose same-sex marriage so they cite the Bible
to support their beliefs.
Advocates
of same-sex marriage also use the Bible to support their beliefs on how same
sex marriage should be legalized. The Bible says gay-marriage is a sin yet it
also says God loves everyone. They use this to their advantage to help their
opponents realize that religion always isn’t what its cracked up to be
.
1.8
percent of America’s population or more than 4 million people in the United States
identify themselves as gay or bisexual. Advocates see this as denying these 4 million
Americans the right to get married. They live in this country and pay their
taxes just like everyone else. They live under they same rules as everyone else
but these 4 million Americans are denied a right that the rest of the
population has the privilege of having.
Works cited
Image one-
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/b9FHvGPSkhR/Same+Sex+Marriage+Advocates+Demonstrate+Against
Image two-http://reasoningpolitics.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/why-opponents-of-same-sex-marriage-are-wrong/
Image Three-http://tvaraj.com/2012/10/17/is-bible-the-worlds-best-selling-or-most-read-or-most-distributed-book/
Information based from-http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/gay-population-us-estimate_n_846348.html
Tori I read your post and I have to say this is a huge problem. I like how you say there are good people on both sides because I agree. But what I still don't understand is why people need to control other people’s life. It’s there life if they want to get married to the person that they love then they should be able to. It’s like of I saw a vegetarian eating and I just walked up to him and slammed a piece of steak down on this plate. Saying you need to eat this, because I eat meat there for you should eat meat to. Well obviously if they wanted meat they would have got meat. (Just saying I have nothing against vegetarian this was just the first example that popped into my head) Same with same sex marriage other people should not be able to tell other people who they can marry and who they can't. That’s just my take on the topic for same sex marriage.
ReplyDeleteYea, I agree people are very hypocritical when it comes to this matter. I think people should just let others be others. Yea, people can say that men and woman should be together to procreate which I agree with that but I also believe that as long as a child is taken care of whether adopted or through surrogacy. Especially the Westboro Baptist church; they're CRAZY!!
ReplyDelete