Many
individuals suffer from the long lasting effects of bullying and this may
result in self-esteem issues, academic failure, and dangerous behavior. I think
that if a person doesn't know how to prevent bullying it can seriously
traumatize their lives. It is important that the victim and the bully both get
help in any given situation. According to greatschools.org 60% of students identified as bullies in grades 6 to 9 are criminal convicts by
the age of 24 years old. We don’t want any more criminals in our society, and
let alone anymore bullied victims. It is also said to be that bullies are at a
greater risk of suicide than the victims. I think that this is true because
most of the bullies themselves have self -esteem problem or some other dramatic
life problem. Many kids need attention and love whether it comes from friends,
teacher, or family. In the school system there are many school counselors, and
their jobs are to get involved in the lives of the students and reach out to
them. A school intervention program can reduce bullying by 30- 50% that is amazing according to greatschools.org.
I
think that some parents fail to listen to their child so they never become
fully comfortable expressing themselves until they come home with a black eye.
The best thing you can do is interact with you child, sister, cousin, or
brother etc. Always tell your child to avoid violence if possible and go to the
first adult available,
and if nothing is done let the parent know. Take part in
the change to make things better. I think that nothing sucks more than going to
school feeling unsafe and alone. Some parents believe that the child can handle
it by themselves and this is an instinct many parents have. This is not true
because their needs to be some type of authority present in the situation.
One
thing I can suggest is to never have your parent confront the bully by
themselves, and this is from personal experience. This is what you need to do:
get a teacher, police officers, or counselor and have them sit down and
contribute to the solution. Most of the time the parents will automatically
take their child’s side and nothing will get accomplished. I think this can
really add more fuel to the fire if not solved appropriately. However the other
person or mediator can contribute their ideas and really get things handle
without being too biased. Pacer's National Bullying Prevention center provides many
resources to inform individuals about bullying. They provide you with stories
from victims, national events, news, and videos. So take the time to look at
the website and get involved you won’t regret helping someone who needs you.
When you show that you care you become very powerful and respected. Some people
don’t stand up because they are afraid well don’t be I am here to tell you. I
am a personal success story myself I thank my mother, and counselors at my
previous college, and even police officers all that time who have helped me.
Make sure you schools and other schools have a no bullying policy. I do know that
Northern Illinois University has an event coming up on December 4th
that helps solve the issue of workplace bullying, and this
could be beneficial to someone who has
this problem. Whether you are the victim or you know one it is important to go
and support the cause. Orange is the color of bullying prevention and I
encourage you to wear orange every October which is bullying awareness month or
better yet all year around. You can simple do this by putting orange ribbon in
your hair, wearing an orange wristband, or sporting an orange t-shirt. It’s all
about the orange swag. Just think of it as saving a life. Every time you wear
orange you bringing bullying awareness to the community.
McGruff bullying sign: http://www.mysecuritysign.com/School-Signs/McGruff-No-Bullies-Sign/SKU-K-4063.aspx



I agree with this topic because bullying is one of my biggest pet peeves. Having your parent confront the bully would just make it worse, so the smarter thing would be to get someone of a higher authority, but sometimes that just makes it worse as well. I think we should give out more consequences to those who bully instead of just sitting down and talking to them.
ReplyDelete