In 2010, a freshman of Rutgers
University named Tyler Clementis committed suicide because he discovered that
his roommate used a webcam to spy on him having sex with another man and put it
on twitter. Tyler jumped off the George Washington Bridge a few days after he
found out. He was 18 years old. (New York Times).
Bullying is more serious than
people think because it is not happening to them. Bullying causes people to
drop out of school, school shootings, and unfortunately commit suicide.
“It’s estimated that 160,000
children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other
students”. (National Education Association). This is absolutely ridiculous. Now
days, education is a must have to get any job. I would go bananas if my child
was scared to go to school due to fear of another person. A child should never
be afraid to get an education. 1 out of every 10 students are dropping out of
school due to bullying. We need to stand up and inform our schools about what
is going on. Not only inform, but encourage them to handle the situation
properly. A lot of schools don’t think they have a bullying problem until
someone commits suicide, or commits a hate crime. It is absurd that school is
supposed to be a “safe place”, and now kids are avoiding going because they are scared. Let’s not wait
until something dreadful happens. We need to do all we can to stop bullying.
I can’t stress enough how terrible
it is to bully someone. Especially when the victim doesn't want to be bothered. Sadly,
a lot of students who get bullied conclude hateful acts to “get back” at
everyone who hurt them. “Harassment and bullying have been linked to 75% of
school shootings.” (Makebeatsnotbeatdowns.org). Most students use the shootings
as a sense of revenge. They want everyone to feel the pain they felt.
For
example, the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado was one of America’s
most tragic moments, where two students that were bullied shot their fellow
classmates. During the shooting they said, "Everyone with white hats,
stand up! This is for all the shit that you've given us for the past four
years!" and: "All jocks stand up! We'll get the guys in white
hats!" (Wearing a white baseball cap at Columbine was a tradition among
sports team members) (Wiki). Twelve students and one teacher died, and a number of people were wounded. In order to
stop tragedies such as the Columbine High School shooting, we have to take
action.
There are simple solutions to help
stop bullying. You should encourage students that are being bullied to speak up
and tell someone. It doesn’t hurt to ask for help from higher authorities.
Also, students need to stop encouraging the bully. We have a tendency to be
entertained by their intimidating tactics, so we stand around and watch or
laugh, but not helping. Become students who defend. Stop the problem, don’t
enhance it. DARE TO BE DIFFERENT! We need to pay more attention to this problem
and make sure we are doing all we can to make it stop. Bullying is growing more
every day, and the more we encourage it instead of stopping it, there will
never be a change.

This was a very interesting topic. I never knew much about the Columbine shooting, and to learn that it was caused by something such as bullying is so awful because it could have been prevented. I agree that if we each take steps to prevent bullying that we can eradicate it.
ReplyDeleteI think that your blog was very interesting. I also did my blogs about bullying and I think that I learned something from you as well. I didn't know about Tyler Clementis killing himself. This is awful I really think that people should be cautious and careful because you never know what a person is going through. Everyone is different in their own way and more people need to except that, and everything isn't for everyone to know and spying is definitely cutting in on someone else's privacy regardless if it's your roommate.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting post. However, while I see your point in bringing up Columbine, I don't think you can say that bullying was the only reason they did that. I did a presentation on Columbine for Psychology last year and from reports given by friends and family, these kids were pretty fucked up in the first place. But, bullying is obviously what made the crazy come out. And the fact that kids are actually ditching school, even dropping out because of bullying is absurd. Nobody should be treated so badly that they are afraid to go get their education.
ReplyDelete