Friday, November 22, 2013

This... Needs to Stop.

Sup bros.
Having a good day?
Has everything been all sunshine and rainbows so far?


...Sorry.



I'm gonna try to keep this as not-depressing as possible, but this is a very serious topic that I feel needs to be addressed.

Suicide.

Scary subject, right? The word itself carries a dark, lingering.. I don't even know what. It just feels weird, man. It sort of fills the room with emptiness when you hear it, if that makes any sense.

Anyways, it's a hell of a lot more common than it should be. It shouldn't exist at all. Nobody should ever feel that they need to end their life. And yet, it claims the lives of over 30,000 Americans each year.

So what can we do?

Well firstly, and the most convenient since us Americans only like to help people if it's convenient for us, reach out to somebody you may know who's showing signs of depression. Common warning signs of suicide include: being distant, anxiety, depression, self-mutilation (cutting, etc..), hopelessness, extreme mood swings, and other signs. If you know somebody who seems so sad that it makes you a little uneasy about their.. stability, little things like calling them to hang out can make a huge difference, believe me. Just show them that you're there for them, and that you care.

Now on a larger scale, many organizations hold events to show support towards suicide prevention. Such an organization, To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit, worldwide anti-suicide,depression,anxiety,self-mutilation organization. They often hold events, although the whole "worldwide" thing makes it a little difficult to find a local one. 

I wish I had more to say, because I do have so much more to say, but, for me at least, this is the kind of subject with so much to be said and so little words to say it. You can't go much further than "suicide is bad it needs to stop". That quote above sums things up pretty well, it says "Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse, suicide eliminate the possibility of it ever getting better" for if the image didn't load. Also, Fronz from Attila is holding the sign, and Fronz is a badass. Not a good lyricist, but a badass nonetheless.

What I can say is this: just reach out to people. If you know somebody struggling with depression or anxiety (sorry for beating a dead horse) just reach out to them and let them know you're there for them. Or go to one of the events I mentioned above.


Sorry for bringing this dark topic into your day.
Here's a kitten:


No comments:

Post a Comment