As a female, I hate it
when I pick up a pen and it’s just too manly for me. It’s so heavy and the blue
hurts my eyes. Is that a callous on my finger? Why isn't there glitter or
cotton candy scent oozing from the ink? Luckily for me and millions of women
everywhere, Bic created a line of pens “for her” so I we no longer have to
struggle trying to find a pen that are delicate hands can manage.
In the commercial, there’s a blonde girl with curled
hair wearing purple and pink who asks for a pen and a group of boys flock to her
with their manly black and blue pens to save her, but she turns them down. The
giant Bic mascot man appears and hands her a pink pen. She gasps and joyfully says,
“Thanks!” while the announcer says the pen has “fabulous style.” Then she kisses
the Bic man on the cheek and he swoons.
The product itself is ridiculous. Why do I need a
whole subcategory of pens because of my gender? I don’t care what color the
plastic covering around a tube of ink is; I just want to be able to doodle in
my notebook and write down reminders. There are five things wrong with the
whole commercial that I picked up on.
- The “Typical” Girl – Long blonde hair, pink floral shirt, and always needing something. Boys always jump at the chance to help the pretty blonde girl.
- Pink, Pink, Pink – Pink shirt, pink backpack, pink pen. Apparently all girls really fucking love pink. I guess I’m not a girl because my favorite color is blue…
- Ahhh, a Romantic Kiss! - When you help the damsel in distress you’re obviously required to get a kiss right? I know I always kiss the boy who lets me borrow a pretty pen. He’s my lord and savior now, duh.
- “Fabulous Style” – Girls have to look good, we get it. We went to seem feminine so we curl our hair, wear stereotypical colors… write with fabulous pens? One of these things does not belong.
- No Men Allowed – These pens are only “for her” so men can’t use them. Sorry boys. You’ll crush the fragile pink covering made out of fairy tears and butterfly wings with your massive bear hands.
When I first saw those pens in commercials I honestly thought it was the vibrator commercials. I agree with this though. Id think this was a good product if maybe every pen or pencil in the world was masculine colors and geared towards men but there are pens and pencils that look almost exactly the same. Instead of making pens for woman how about BIC makes better lead for their mechanical pencils because it breaks so much.
ReplyDelete