The National Collegiate Athletic
Association is a business plain and simple. So why should they not compensate
all who are involved with that business? That is the question many people “in
the business” are asking themselves. Players, coaches, officials, and other
personnel throughout the nation are involved in the fight to allow the
student-athletes the right to claim what is theirs.
The only
foreseeable problem with the payment plan would be that the NCAA would have to
equally pay each and every student athlete on an official roster. There really
is no easy way to do that, so they would have to come up with an efficient way
to incorporate that. Other than that, I see know reasonable explanation as to
why these athletes should continue to play with out pay. They put in the
countless hours of practice and hard work in order to entertain the paying spectators.
As a third party to the whole situation, you have to admit that there is
something wrong with a few coaches making a combined salary of over 50 million
dollars while the players make absolutely nothing. They deserve a piece of the
NCAA’s pot.
If the
National Collegiate Athletic Association refuses to pay the athletes, they
should at least allow them to go out independently and make a profit off of
their signatures through autographs. The only problem with this method is that
the pay will be unequal among the student-athletes. Players in big name schools
that will be broadcasted across the nation will bring in a significantly larger
profit as oppose to an average athlete at a smaller school. That system may not
be perfect but at least it is something. After all, as I have previously stated
in my prior blog posts, these athletes are not looking for a huge salary. No,
they are just looking for a few hundred dollars here and there to act as
spending money around their campus.
Ultimately,
it is the NCAA’s responsibility to first accept the fact that their student-athletes
need to be paid and secondly, to come up with an effective way to make sure
that players are paid equally. These players are due what they have worked for
their whole lives. Scholarships absolutely do not cut it anymore. Not to
mention the walk on athletes who deserve just as much credit as the rest. These
players are entering the post-college life with nothing when they could have
been working while attending their university. This answer to this whole issue
is simple… PAY THE PLAYERS!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/lets-start-paying-college-athletes.html?pagewanted=all

Hey Evan I read your post and I have to say that I agree with you. Athletes should be paid for playing, because not only do they bring money into their school. But they also dedicate hours to practices to a program that essentially steals from them. The one thing that I kind of don't agree with is that all players should be paid equally. I feel that they should be paid a percentage of what each football game makes. So the pay may change depending on who is playing that week. But I think that it's fairer to the bigger schools that pull in a bigger crowd. That the athletes get paid more than a school that pulls in a smaller crowd because the athletes are the ones that bring the crowds to the stadiums.
ReplyDeleteI honestly do not agree with this at all. More often than not, these athletes get scholarships to play football at their schools. Sometimes full-ride scholarships. That means free school. So essentially their already getting paid around $100,000 to... play football. And even if they don't get a full ride, they still probably are getting a scholarship. That's still thousands of dollars towards their education for doing something that they enjoy anyway. Would spending money be nice to have? Of course, everybody likes money. I just feel like they already get paid just fine, a hell of a lot more than I would pay somebody to play a game.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this post Evan. I was researching this topic before and I was shocked when I found out that college players don't make any money from playing. They are the ones that go out every game and leave everything on the field. So why does all the money go into the “higher-ups” pockets. Not only are they using their talent but they are using their image to make money for themselves. What's even worse is that these athletes put all their time into these sports so they don't have a chance to work outside of the sport.
ReplyDeleteI would like to disagree with this post. College sports should be about the love of the game. If college players started to get paid, the players would simply s top playing for the love of it and atart playing because of the money. Also, most of these players are sent on full rides or close to it. So basically they are getting paid because college is extremely expense. I believe that is a win win for them to be able to play the sport the love and be at college for free.
ReplyDelete