Okay. I need to get this idea stuck in your head and really
make you all agree that going away to college is the right thing to do. I have
been a little too formal with my last two blogs but its time to say it how it
is right now.
Currently if you are reading this from the class we are all
away at college clearly. So what I am about to say should make sense to all of
us. College gives us endless opportunities to live and grow as a person, and I
think it is safe to say that we could not do this if we were stuck at home at a
community college.
Because of college we do not have to deal that much with our
parents back at home and we are finally “on our own”. I believe this is a huge responsibility. We
have to be able to act like adults here and know right from wrong. We no longer
have our parents there to back us up and fight our battles. We are the adults
now and we are here to grow and learn like adults should. It may be a little
scary being away from our parents for this long, especially if you are very family
orientated, but everyone needs to learn what it is like to live away from your
parents cause one day we will finally move out for good. Unless you are going
to be that 40-year guy who lives in their parent’s basement, then I do not know
what you are doing.
Besides being away from just our parents, we leave our
friends behind. That may be really hard for some of us, but good thing if you
are living in a residence hall because you meet new friends very instantly that
are on your floor. College has that great aspect to it that makes it very easy
to meet new people because we clearly all left friends behind and need to all
start some friendships to keep us going with our lives. I do not know about all
you guys, but meeting new people is a great thing to do in college cause you
get to be yourself and see who else out there has the same likes and opinions
like your friends back at home did. This just adds onto the list of things we
learn here at college and being away from home.
Now to the last part of college. The parties. For those of
you that enjoy to drink large amounts of alcohol, this is the place for you.
Being away at college gives you the opportunity to drink and have fun with
friends. It might possibly get a little rowdy and you will not remember what
you did in the morning, but your friends will tell you all about it in the
morning and it will all be worth it. Most of us probably can’t drink openly at
home whenever we want, so being away at college is great cause you get to drink
and just kind of let loose on the weekends and not worry about school work for
once.
Now I know I may not of cited anything specific in this blog
post, but we all have our personal experiences, and I hope you are all enjoying
college as much as I am. I am very thankful to be here away at college because
if it wasn’t for my scholarship, I may not be here today. Then I wouldn’t be
able to grow and learn away from home like the adult I am should.
Once again, I hope everyone’s first semester has been great
and go Huskies!
I totally agree with everything you said here! Your blog was very informal but I liked it! You were honest and I think that all of us can relate and understand what you're saying. Community college is cheap, but in the end, it's basically high school all over again and I think that the people who were popular in high school who are afraid of losing that popularity end up going to community college. NIU has so much to offer, and people are able to make great memories here while also transitioning into independence and adulthood. I know some people who weren't able to adjust here, and had to drop out. I can understand that it's hard being away from friends and family, but to a point, you have to grow up and realize that it's good to just stick with NIU because there are so many opportunities for growth here. Anyway, I think that your blog was successful in provoking thought and it was very relate able, great job!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post Corey because it had me laughing at some parts of it. I agree with everything you wrote and college really does give us a lot of opportunities to live and grow. To me it gave me a chance to surround myself with a more positive group of people. This led to me doing greater than ever in school. I'm thankful that I got to move out because it really did make me get more responsible knowing that I'm on my own. I did leave a lot of friends behind and I definitely did make a lot of friends on campus. Honestly I found out that I have a lot more in common with the friends that I made here than the ones I had back home.
ReplyDeleteGoing away to college is definitely something I always recommend to others to do. Personally I was always dependent back on my family when I was living at home and honestly was worried how I was going to do it away from them. I learned great responsibility and definitely self control being away and I am so proud of myself for that because when I see peers from high school who still lives back at home I can definitely see a big difference in the maturity levels and I am thankful I have grown up more.
ReplyDelete